Monday, June 22, 2009

The Shelter Island 10k

On Saturday, I ran the 30th Annual Shelter Island 10k. It was the very first race I signed up for after I decided to start running again back in February. I had targeted the race for a couple reasons: (1) I wanted redemption at the distance . . . I was perilously close to finishing last in the 2004 Running of the Bulls 10k in Fayetteville, NC and (2) I'd heard wonderful things about the course.

I'm pleased to report that I set a new Personal Record: 56:46, almost 15 minutes faster than that horrible 2004 time. The result was made even sweeter because less than 24 hours before the race, I had no idea how I would get there.

Shelter Island is not only an island accessible only by ferry but to reach it, you have to travel to Greenport. LIRR only sends two trains each weekend day to Greenport and both of the departures were hours before the race would end. Luckily, I happened upon the Hampton Jitney. The Jitney has a couple options for getting to the race, but only one for getting back: an 8:05 p.m. departure. So, after starting at 5:30 p.m., commuters from NYC need to (a) finish the 10k; (b) shower -- facilities are provided; (c) take a shuttle bus to the ferry; (d) take the ferry; and (e) walk the relatively short distance to the bus stop.

I had some doubts about whether it would work out for me. As soon as I finished the race, I quickly grabbed a couple snacks from the post-race recovery tent, rushed to the showers (cost $1 and located right next to the bag check; shower only, no lockers, no sinks, no toilets -- there are port-a-johns across the street), and flagged down the first bus I saw. Got back to Greenport at about 7:10. Searched the town for a place to grab a quick snack -- found a Starbucks across the street from the bay-side carousel (along the boardwalk) -- and got back to the bus stop by 7:40. A tight fit, but I made it.

With a slight delay, we made good time back to New York and I was at Grand Central around 10:45 p.m.

As best I could tell, I was one of only three people who did the same-day commute out to the race. And while the Jitney can only accomodate so many, it is a shame that more folks can't make it out to the race. It's one of the few non marathons that's treated like a big deal to the community: radio stations cover it, names are called out over the loud speakers when you finish, etc. In short, it makes you feel like you completed something impressive. And while marathons provide nicer shirts and fancier medals, I have no doubt that my Shelter Island memorabilia will be some of my most cherished running swag -- it was an all-around wonderful experience.

2 comments:

AnnieC13 said...

Thanks for not making me go to this. :-)

mlb_bobcats said...

You're welcome. But you owe me.