Saturday, June 6, 2009

Great Head Trail at Acadia

During our weekend trip to Maine, we drove to Acadia National Park. I was obligated to agree to a hiking excursion. I bought new shoes for the occasion and chose a moderate trail. Great Head Trail promised evergreen forest along sea cliffs. It begins on a beach and it is a 1.4 mile loop. Perfect!


Sand Beach. Quite foggy in the morning.


Lots of trees


Michael did not wear appropriate shoes, so he had to wade across the little ravine to get to the other side of the beach.



The beginning of the trail begins with pink granite stone steps. A little freaky.




Because the trail is a loop, there is a decision to be made: turn left to the forest or turn right to the sea cliffs. I thought it would be cool to end with the sea cliffs. Into the forest we go. The forest part is fairly easy.




We get to the sea cliffs. Still foggy.




Still foggy.




Fog is starting to clear! Now we can enjoy the view!




Time to continue on the trail to get back. Trudge, trudge.



Sheer rock to climb down. Really?!? This made me really glad that we did not start this way. If I had to go up those, I would have balked and quit right then and there. The other way, I had no choice but to continue or else I would have been stranded.



The trail markers were either wooden signs, cairns, or little painted blue strips. With those lovely blue strips, I didn't have to worry about being lost and could just concentrate on getting the heck out of there! Hiking 1.4 miles is definitely more strenuous than just walking 1.4 miles.

1 comment:

mlb_bobcats said...

Boy, I really had the Charlie Brown posture going that weekend, didn't I? Trying to shame me into fixing that?