Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Holy Cow! Carbon Monoxide!

The carbon monoxide detector went off again. There's nothing like getting roused from your sleep to an alarm with instructions written on it that says "get to fresh air."

Everything is fine, I guess. The last time this happened, the fire department came. Their detector also found carbon monoxide, but while they were there, it dissipated and they did not figure out the source.

This time, housing maintenance came (I guess the fire department didn't deem us worthy of a visit) and their detector did not find carbon monoxide. Their solution was to just give us a new carbon monoxide detector, because apparently, our other one was "too sensitive."

By the way, the top reasons for carbon monoxide being in the house is because of cooking, candles and setting your thermostat really high (although, I don't know what is "really high"). I also vaguely remember fireplaces, but don't quote me on that.

My non-expert opinion is I think it's the furnace, although both the fire department and maintenance checked the furnace and didn't find anything wrong with it. I just remember thinking it felt so hot both times the detector went off. Or was it just adrenaline? Note to self, I have to pack a carbon monoxide evacuation kit! Ha.

So I'm just supposed to open the windows, and be aware of any carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms, like having a headache. Sheesh.

No comments: