Thursday, August 5, 2010

I'm officially a mom

Yes, Nacho is almost three months old, I spend my days knee-deep in poop and spit-up, I'm a pro at bottle sanitizing, I feel lucky when I get to sleep a two-hour stretch and I'm fairly confident that I can bowl two games using a 13 lb ball (not that I throw my baby around). But why do I now feel it's official?

I was hurriedly eating dinner while baby was taking a snooze in the swing, when I dropped my fork. I picked it up, wiped it off with a used kleenex on the table, and continued eating with it. What crossed my mind as I did this? The floor didn't look *that* dirty. The kleenex was probably used to wipe up baby drool or spit up. And I just didn't feel like getting up to get a new fork when I was almost done eating.

Three-second rule (or is it 10 second rule?): I finally get it.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Gross.

Dawnell said...

If your dinner was warm you're not really a mom. :-) Just kidding. I'm glad it feels real now. I don't remember how long it took me with Beckett but I do know that for many months I kept wondering when the actual responsible party would take care of the baby. It seemed like the cosmos had made a mistake by making me the care taker of another human.

P.S. For lunch yesterday I ate the chewed on crusts of Beckett's peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Ah, motherhood....

JenDay said...

Oh Annie. I love it, I miss you, what else can I say. You're brilliant and you make me smile. <3 JJ